Wednesday 6 September 2017

Devotional Thought:Helplessness,Sinfulness & Dependency


 Carnal nature is about self-sufficiency among other things. It hates feeling weak, being corrected or being in a position where it has to submit. I see it in me. I see it everyday. Carnal nature hates vulnerability!There's so much struggle in admitting that you are not okay--even when it's from a loved one. Self will tell you: "Don't burden others, keep quiet, don't talk about your struggles--they have theirs. You don't dare open your heart,they don't have to know your defects. Keep it together. ".

And as I continue with my Christian journey, there's this struggle whenever I sin towards God or make a mistake.( This behavior also manifests itself in other relationships too). Instead of wanting to run to Him, I want to hide. That's how heavy sin is. The same reaction that made Adam and Eve cover themselves and hide is active even in our age.I'd be there feeling disappointed at  myself and I'd be there telling myself: I can't believe I did this to God. I promise not to do it again; while forgetting that in me I do not even possess the strength to honor God. 

But God is faithful: He's  really helping me see my brokenness, insufficiency, hopelessness apart from Him. He's been teaching me that, at my lowest,when I'm broken and unmade, that's exactly then that He would have me come to Him. After all, there's nothing I can do for myself in this state. This is a lesson God is impressing, though human nature keeps telling me I must do something to merit God's favor. But on the contrary, Christ has already did the meriting for me--I just need to come. That's always the first step. So the statements below have been melting my heart in ways I cannot comprehend.

1.Jesus loves to have us come to him, just as we are,—sinful, helpless, dependent.---Gospel Workers, 414

2.If we come to God, feeling helpless and dependent, as we really are, and in humble, trusting faith make known our wants to Him whose knowledge is infinite, who sees everything in creation, and who governs everything by His will and word, He can and will attend to our cry, and will let light shine into our hearts. Through sincere prayer we are brought into connection with the mind of the Infinite. We may have no remarkable evidence at the time that the face of our Redeemer is bending over us in compassion and love, but this is even so. We may not feel His visible touch, but His hand is upon us in love and pitying tenderness.—(Steps to Christ, 97.)

3.Some seem to feel that they must be on probation and must prove to the Lord that they are reformed, before they can claim his blessing. But these dear souls may claim the blessing even now. They must have his grace, the Spirit of Christ, to help their infirmities, or they cannot form a Christian character. Jesus loves to have us come to him, just as we are,—sinful, helpless, dependent. -GW,p.414

4.Let no one here feel that his case is hopeless; for it is not. You may see that you are sinful and undone; but it is just on this account that you need a Saviour. If you have sins to confess, lose no time. These moments are golden. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” [1 John 1:9.] Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness will be filled; for Jesus has promised it. Precious Saviour! his arms are open to receive us, and his great heart of love is waiting to bless us.-GW,pp.413,414

5.We must learn in the school of Christ. Nothing but his righteousness can entitle us to one of the blessings of the covenant of grace. We have long desired and tried to obtain these blessings, but have not received them, because we have cherished the idea that we could do something to make ourselves worthy of them. We have not looked away from ourselves, believing that Jesus is a living Saviour. We must not think that our own grace and merits will save us; the grace of Christ is our only hope of salvation. Through his prophet the Lord promises, “Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.” [Isaiah 55:7.] We must believe the naked promise, and not accept feeling for faith. When we trust God fully, when we rely upon the merits of Jesus as a sin-pardoning, Saviour, we shall receive all the help that we can desire.-GW,p.412

6.We look to self, as though we had power to save ourselves; but Jesus died for us because we are helpless to do this. In him is our hope, our justification, our righteousness. We should not despond, and fear that we have no Saviour, or that he has no thoughts of mercy toward us. At this very time he is carrying on his work in our behalf, inviting us to come to him in our helplessness, and be saved. We dishonor him by our unbelief. It is astonishing how we treat our very best Friend, how little confidence we repose in him who is able to save to the uttermost, and who has given us every evidence of his great love.-GW,p.412 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...