Sunday 22 January 2017

Reflections:Time spent with family,Part 1

So,I've been at home for 2 months and 3 weeks now.Today I was supposed to leave and I decided to cancel my trip.Reason is,home has been great you know and I really don't feel like leaving.I also wanted to just have a quiet moment of reflecting and prepare my mind.



I used to feel like a month at home is too much.

But this time around,I actually wish I could just take a year off and just be at home.

As I reflect,I've learnt that the reason we often do not like being home that much is because we sometimes make it all about us."My dad and I aren't that close,so I'd rather be elsewhere". It can be many excuses.

But it changes everything when we realise that we each have a part to play in making the home a happy place.Until recently,I used to think it was the parent's role to ensure that the home runs well,but that's not how God sees it-everyone has a part.

If I'd like a better relationship with anyone in my own family,I've got to take the step and get to know the other person.Find out what they like,what their views are about certain things etc.And in all this,you get to understand the individual more,gets easier to relate and the closer you get.

Happiness in the home does not happen by chance.It requires self-denial too.Putting the needs of the other first.Not easy but doable through the strength that Christ imparts.

I think of moments where I'd be deep in thought or just reading,and my dad would call out to me and ask me to bring him water.Initial thoughts would be:"But I'm doing some reading and you  are closer to the kitchen than I am".

But the more I denied my own wants and served him,I began to enjoy these tasks.Knowing that my dad could count on me made me happy.Joy is in the little things actually.

I think we sometimes get so engrossed about the future or whatever that captures our attention at a certain point that we forget to live in the moment.And it is in the moments that have been overlooked and not used,that regrets surface and we miss out on beautiful opportunities:loving,forming intimate relations,making memories.It's a sad realization believe me.

We must learn to extend the same grace that God extends to us.How forbearing is God towards us,how his heart yearns over us!!Yet mom says something offensive and you decide to give her silent treatment.Imagine if God was like that to us?What am I saying?Most things are not worth getting offended over.We are all part of the great controversy,and we must ever remember that those we love are struggling with sin too.

Lastly,pray for your loved ones.It changes much.I've seen it in my life and that of my family.If you notice defects in your loved ones,pray about them.It also helps to point them out.

I think consistency is key:consciously choosing to love,to laugh instead of getting angry.God is willing and able to help us in our endeavor to have happy families,since he is the author of the home.So we keep learning!!!


"Marked diversities of disposition and character frequently exist in the same family,for it is in the order of God that persons of varied temperament should associate together.When this is the case,each member of the household should sacredly regard the feelings and respect the right of the others.By this means mutual consideration and forbearance will be cultivated,prejudices will be softened,and rough points of character smoothed.Harmony may be secured and the blessing of varied temperaments may be a blessing to each."-Mind,Character,and Personality,Volume 1,E.G.White,p.251

"God wants us to help one another by a manifestation of sympathy and unselfish love.There are those who have inherited peculiar tempers and disposition.They may be hard to deal with,but are we faultless?They are not to be discouraged.Their errors are not to be made common property.Christ pities and helps those who err in judgement.He has suffered death for every man,and because of this,HE HAS A TOUCHING AND PROFOUND INTEREST IN EVERY MAN."-MCP,v.1,p...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...