Tuesday 28 August 2018

August Reflections: The AWM Retreat Sessions



The program was really packed and it was needful, relevant, informative, and life-changing. The theme was Wholeness in Brokenness with an over-arching element on mental health. We had various speakers including the main speaker: Mrs. Laurie Synman who hails from Michigan. They all blessed me in a special way.

Mrs. Synman’s Sessions
The underlying theme was victory over our thoughts. This was such a fruitful session because in essence, everything comes from the mind. If the thoughts are wrong, the deeds will be wrong and vice versa. So she looks at the role of thoughts in our daily lives and its effect on our spirituality, including mental health. She also focused a lot on how we can use the Word of God to gain victory over negative thoughts. I gained a lot. She gave us handouts and I hope it’s available on AWM website.
What I really liked about this speaker was her care-free spirit. I am learning that our sharing becomes more touching when it’s authentic and bible-based. I love personal, practical examples so her presentations had these. She also learnt some Xhosa words-cute! May God bless her!

Mrs. Lulu Ndhlovu’s sessions
Aah I really loved this woman- her individuality…everyone’s individuality! Probably because she spoke a lot about some of my convictions and gave more fruitful discourses about questions I had. I have a deep interest in social issues and one of the questions that have bothered me for a while is: what is the church’s role in issues facing women-rape, abuse, etc?

“It is easier to share our stories on Facebook than at church”
I loved how she spoke about the church being a safe space. Truth is, the church was always supposed to be a safe space. But I think we got Christianity wrong- we probably thought being Christian means ‘pretending all is well’. And because of this, an environment was created that prohibited people from being honest. At the end we have hurting people pretending they are alright while dying inside.

She also spoke about the importance of being hands-on in ministry. She raised that we have become an ‘event’ orientated church. Placed more emphasis on prayer since we also pray now and again. Even personally, might I add! I need not start introspecting myself when there’s going to be the Lord’s Supper. It should be daily. Lord help us (me)!

She also spoke about the ministry she and her husband starter at a shelter for children who are rape victims. I cried! I was really touched. But I praised God for the healing that has been taking place. As she shared how the children were on their arrival, I really got impressed with the realization that people are hurting and they are broken. And I personally think I’d like to be more sensitive on my approach to others. It’s easier to think people don’t want God etc; but I honestly think people have so many questions. Overall, a new ministry idea was birthed and I am so much thankful.

She also shared about her own brokenness and how God came through for her. As she shared, I realized marriage is deep and not for the unconverted.
She also spoke about real issues and pin-pointed areas where women do err. I really loved her balanced approach.

Mrs. Botho Ntswaneng’s sessions
What need I say more?! She reached to the depths of my soul and said the very things I needed to hear. She also shared about other various things too: mental health as a Psychotherapist etc. She also asked an important question: who are the mothers of the young men who are raping, killing, abusing? Who’s to blame? Essentially, we encouraged to be each other’s keepers as women. She said one fundamental thing that really rebuked me: the need to cover each other and never be so quick to expose each other’s faults. Mercy Lord! I used to think is easy—not when we are coming from a place of hurt.

Pastor Ngwaru’s sessions
Aww, bless your servant, Lord! He made us cry when He shared his story. It’s not for me to share. But the whole talk was on healing and forgiveness. I love how he pointed: BROKENNESS BEGETS MINISTRY. BROKENNESS PROVIDES OPPORTUNITIES. He also pointed out that brokenness can either be redemptive or destructive. God is the greatest example: broken by our sins yet redemptive. And Satan comes to mind on the element of destructive. Above all, brokenness is not an excuse because there’s a balm in Gilead. I was healed, still am. I think a lot needs to be spoken about healing of the soul.

I won’t share on Doctor Mweemba as I had shared on my previous post. Start happening.

Overall, I have been blessed and this experience has made me reflect a lot.
P/S: I’ll share Mrs Tabea Nkabinde’s session on its own. I managed to jot down some important points.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...