Thursday 23 August 2018

My August Reflections: General Lessons


There was an incident that happened in the women’s retreat that has led to this post. The registration fee for AWM annual retreat included various things that we needed at the retreat such as the print outs, pens, and a blanket. So when we got to the registration table, the blankets were not available. We were then told to write a list of our names which was to be used for the blankets. A few blankets were handed out to the people that were in the list but they were few. Upon inquiring about when we were going to receive ours, we were told the following morning. Needless to say, we did not receive them up to this point (but there’s hope that we will).

The whole experience was really disappointing and frustrating. The coordinator of the retreat told us something had happened and we would receive the blankets on a later stage. Unfortunately this led to a lot of murmuring and a lot of ‘administration talk’ LOL. It was a daily agenda amongst the women. But we praise God that we received blessings greater than a blanket could afford us.

But this whole experience has led me to the following conclusion:

-When dealing with people, transparency is the best policy regardless of how bad the situation may be, especially when money has been paid. There’s nothing as frustrating as paying for something and not receiving it. But it becomes worse when you’re not told the reasons behind it. Of course in this context it could be that the coordinator wanted to protect people and I believe she would’ve been able to do so without mentioning names. See, a lack of transparency has a way of making people suspicious. And sadly, trust is broken.

- Reflecting is VERY important in life- whether from a personal space or as a ministry, business, family etc. This is very much needful or there’ll be no growth whatsoever. This has really helped me and I guess that’s why I keep reflecting. It helps with keeping track of your progress, to see what to improve on and so forth. Now, if you are ministry, it’s pivotal to ask questions so that you can serve better. LOL, now that I think of this reflection thing, I feel guilty! I’d also like you, dear reader, to tell me if this blog is adding any value, make suggestions and so forth!

-Voicing concerns to the right people! I’ve noticed something amongst us black folks- this is general observations. When we’re not satisfied with something, we don’t complain to the right folks. E.g you buy something and it’s not exactly how you wanted it to be; instead of going back to the seller, you keep quiet (or end up badmouthing the seller). How does this benefit us in anyway? Truth is, it doesn’t. I really hope we can help each other in this journey of life by being honest. It’s not wrong to say when you’re not satisfied-‘cause I believe if someone is offering you a service, they want to please you. I feel like we have misplaced guilt, maybe? How can you feel guilty for being honest? Something I also need to work on! Not wanting to offend sometimes really harms!

-Be accountable!

- Be the change you want to see! Everything is two-sided. As a South African I acknowledge that there are many injustices that we face as a people. But at some point we must ask ourselves what is our individual responsibility. Often the focus is heavily on the injustices such that we end up a bitter and angry people who do not make a difference. Even if you’re making a difference anger and bitterness are self-destructive. Back to my point: to a certain degree, the power to help ourselves lies within us (not negating God’s help). We need to let go of the ‘savior’ mentality. No one is getting us of this mess-whether it be jobs, poverty, and so forth. The solution lies in us to equip ourselves and so forth. Look at how Burkina Faso flourished when Thomas Sankara was alive. Look at the self-help programs in Ethiopia. You get what I am saying right?

-And writing about our dreams will also not change a thing. This is a personal rebuke to myself.


P/S: Regarding self-help projects, see the video below. I was hoping to share the link my brother got me, pity I don't have it. When I do, will share.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...