Friday 8 November 2013

HONOURING OUR PARENTS :)

Growing up,I always loved my parents.But as I reached teenagehood I suffered from terrible mood swings.I had developed a habit of grumbling when my mother would ask me to do more than one task.I was aware that I had to help but in mind I had concluded she could do all the duties herself and what's worse,she could ask my twin brother to help her.

But as I grew older,God started to make it clear to me that I was not honouring my mother nor was I treating her in love.As I started to do some of her duties,like:washing the dishes,cleaning the house,dusting etc,I realised how strong she was and how tired she got.And as I'm becoming a woman,I'm starting to learn what it really means to honour your parent.

Doing your duties is part of honouring them BUT also your attitude is crucial.Often,when our parents ask us to do certain tasks,we frown BUT do we ever take a moment to think what they've done for us?Do we also realise that they're human and get tired?It is only now that I realise how precious parents(and generally every old adult) are and how much they sacrifice for us.

Now,I'm focused on being a good daughter because I realise that is my duty.They've done their duty of being good parents and they're still doing so and the least I can do is honour them.This means,I'll try as much to make my parent's lives worthwhile(receiving stregnth from God).This means I'll be careful to always be respectful towards my parents and to always approach them in a humble tone.This also means I'll seek their counsel and I'll consult them pertaining to any path that I want to take,even if this is uncomfortable because they know best.I also realise that they are humans and they do make mistakes,but this does not give me the right to disrespect them or even make fun of their mistakes BUT instead,I should point the things I don't like in a humble manner.This also means,when I've wronged my parents,I ask for forgiveness.

Often,we think:our parents don't want us to be happy BUT you realise all they want is for us to have a brighter future and eternity.Also,it is important that we realise,this command also highlights in practicality our relationship with God.It is impossible to love God,yet dishonour our parents.And it's important to note that the only time,we can safely "dishonour" our parents,is when they expect us to dishonour God because He is the one that deserves our ultimate respect.

Also,you will realise,as the youth we are privileged to have educational opportunities.We should ask God to give us humble hearts so that as we acquire our education,we don't think we are better than them BUT we should seek to make their lives better.And when they don't understand some things:we should be patient with them and never make them inferior.It's also crucial to remember not only are we to take care of them but we should make time for them.It's quite sad that often as girls,or young women,we want to rush and get married when we should first learn how to take care of our parents and take care of our homes.

Honouring our parents means we form strong bonds where we can be a blessing to each other.Where we can bring our prayer requests to each other and help each other heavenward.The home becomes a happy home where angels dwell.And not only so,neighbours can testify of the LOVE that reigns and they are drawn to the Source of Love-God.Also an important note to those who have non-christian parents:For them it's more than crucial,as this may be the only chance to show what christianity is in practical terms.

I now realise Jesus was once a child too and it was through his ability to respect his parents that He learnt the value of Honouring His Father.

Let us cherish our parents and forever treat them as jewels!This is practical christianity.And let us remember to practice this principle to every adult irregardless of their social standard.

“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.-Exodus 20:12
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”[a]-Ephesians 6:1-3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...