Monday 4 November 2013

Few Lessons from the life of Elijah,the Prophet of God

The Christian journey is a journey of discovery.It's not a monotonous journey but a fulfilling journey when you put your trust on God and stay connected with Him.Prayer and the study of God's word amongst other things really help you to grow as a Christian and what's more:you learn to trust in God and as you learn to trust in Him,you slowly begin to love His Will.I've been feasting on the Book of 1st Kings,specifically Chapter 17 and I've really learnt beautiful lessons that I can't keep to myself. The relationship between Elijah and God is really beautiful. First we see Elijah being fed by ravens(a type of a bird):For me this is a reminder that God seeks what's best for us.Our needs concern Him and He knows them before we even ask .Also I've learnt that God is not LIMITED,as we sometimes make HIM TO BE and He is not dependant on us BUT He loves us to make us part of His mission,that is,the salvation of mankind.But back to my point,we see God using a bird to feed a human.He COULD'VE SENT SOMEONE OVER but He chose this.God uses any agent to accomplish His mission.And for me,this makes me wonder:Shouldn't I,a SINNER saved by grace,avail MYSELF for doing good for others and spreading the gospel?I've faced moments where idleness has influenced my decisions,But THIS motivates me to turn my life around and serve God with all that I have and with love and with zeal. The second lesson:is between the widow and Elijah.I realise,no matter how little you have,let it be a blessing.God has never AND WILL NEVER be a God of quantity.We see this principle applied more than once in the Bible.The flour and oil were enough for the widow and her son YET God asks this widow to share it with Elijah and at the end she has more than enough-"Little is much when God is in it".Initially we see the widow reluctant and the question is,Do we sometimes withold what God has blessed us with,forgetting that He was the One who put it in our hands in the first place? After doing what God asked,she had food all the days of her life:we learn a lesson,God always provides when at times,we least expect it.We should also bring hope to others by sharing with them all God has bestowed on us. Still,on the same story,when the son of the widow dies:How quickly of her to forget what God has done.Do we,also,have spiritual amnesia?Do we tend to forget how God has led us,when all seems to fail?Do we measure God's goodness by lack of trials?Let's ponder on these questions :).Again,God comes through for her.Elijah prays earnestly to God,asking him to bring the son back to life:A reminder that LIFE COMES FROM God.I like how Elijah trusted God so much that He was the first option.Is God the first option when we are sick,discouraged etc?Or do we seek human wisdom and aid?And when all this fails come back to HIM? I'm also moved by how Elijah called on God when there was drought,not trusting on Himself or trying to advertise himself,BUT SHOWING HOW GREAT God is.Do we believe,because we want others to exclaim how great we are?Or do we believe so that God's glory may be revealed?Do we do good to receive praise or is it our gratitude to God? GOD'S WORD ALWAYS BRINGS COMFORT TO THE SOUL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...