Sunday 6 September 2015

HUMILITY

That has been on my mind for some time.I've been pondering on Christ's life and he possessed such humility that I know I cannot possess such without His help.For some time,rather,for a long time I never really understood what humility was.I thought being quiet meant I was humble or saying things like "I'm humbled" makes you meek.But even in my quietness I possessed pride.There'd be occassions when I'd look down on others.But as I dwelt more on Christ's life,I saw my evilness and He is still helping me and he's teaching what it really means to be humble.

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.”~C.S.Lewis

"The humble man feels no jealousy or envy. He can praise God when others are preferred and blessed before him. He can bear to hear others praised and himself forgotten, because in God's presence he has learnt to say with Paul, "I am nothing." He has received the spirit of Jesus, who pleased not himself, and sought not his own honor, as the spirit of his life." (Humility and Absolute Surrender, pg. 25, 27)

Humility is NOT being quiet.You can be quiet but the most proud and undermine others.Humility is self-forgetfulness.Doing nothing for praise or recognition.Humility rejoices when others are elevated while no  mention is made of you.Humility doesn't seek first place.Humility is willing to give up the most precious for the sake of others.Humility is not driven by recognition and makes no mention of its achievements.Humility doesn't strive for first place!

Humility is about others and only Christ can teach us to possess this virtue.Christ,the Creator,humbled Himself though equal with God.Who are we ,that we should think highly of ourselves?

Do we truly possess Christ's humility?Do we find joy when we are praised and when we receive more likes?Do we live our lives on the basis of receiving recognition?Do our conversations dwell upon ourselves?Do we make more mention of ourselves?Do we seek to be associated with those in high places??Is there anything praiseworthy about us?

 Philippians 2:3-8King James Version (KJV)

3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross

#More_about_Jesus
#Nothing praiseworthy in me
#Not I but Christ

#Meekness....Heart's desire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...