Monday 14 September 2015

A ROSE AMONGST WEEDS:REVIVING THE SPIRIT OF DORCAS


About a month ago,an elderly woman had visited the church I worship in with  five (or more) children.She then stood up to share a testimony that God was doing in a girl she had taken to look after.I also learnt that she was feeding soup to the children in her neighbourhood.The Lord had impressed it upon my heart to do something concerning the children and so I had prayed that I'd see her again,especially this past Sabbath.

So,I cheerfully went to church and Lo and behold,the elderly woman was there.I couldn't stop thanking God.So,I went back home to bring her the clothes I decided to give for the children-since I wasn't wearing them and since I had decided to get rid of all my short dresses and other immodest clothes.So,when I came back,she happened to be outside and I gave her the parcel and she was grateful and gave me a hug.She then invited me for lunch to her house.

I then went to her house for lunch.She lives in a neighbourhood that's marked with poverty.When I entered her house I was taken aback.The thought that this old woman was feeding and clothing other people's children while her house wasn't fancy really struck me.But I immediately felt welcomed and it was such a cosy house-neat and lovely.

So,she offered me food and we spent the whole afternoon listening to presentations on health and 2 sermons on Pastor Paul Charles.I was blessed to the utmost.I was comforted to know that even in this sin-filled world,even in this generation that doesn't possess self-forgetfulness there are servants of God.What even comforted me more was the fact that she was an elderly woman and she shared the word of God with me.At some point I felt like there weren't any aged women I could look up to,except for a few.But she exceeded my expectations.

And God is really impressing in my heart the importance of serving him in the little that I have.As the youth,we often think we cannot help feed the hungry,clothe the poor and more,since we are often dependent on our parents.But God has taught me how untrue this concept is.We can do some good by sharing with others what we have.This also has made me realize the importance of being able to sustain myself so I can help where I can.

We often daydream of opening shelters or having a salary which will  enable us to give to others or the poor,but I now know:he who cannot share whilst he has little,can never share when he has much.The servant who was given one talent would have never been faithful even if he were to be given more,since he could not be faithful with one little thing.

God is really teaching me wonderful lessons through His willing vessels.God has opened my eyes and I'm learning that there's a lot of ways to serve the Lord while serving others.We often seek to do big things for God,but we must allow Him to use us in smaller ways so as to be prepared to handle the bigger things.If it so happens that we never are afforded the greater opportunities,we can  do mcuh in the little we have.Plus,what we esteem LITTLE in our eyes,isn't little in His eyes.

You don't  need much to serve.A willingness to serve is the start and we are to ask God to imbue us with wisdom so that we may be able to see opportunities in which we can do much for Him.

"Little is much,when God is in it"

Let us lay aside the spirit of seeking vain glory,the spirit of seeking to be highly esteemed.We can do much for God,even in the humblest form.

Of late,through certain books and blogs,I've found myself wondering:Will people cry for me,like they cried for Dorcas?Would the hope of many be removed in my absence?Not that any should have hope IN me!But what difference am I doing in other people's lives?

It's sad how we seem to think we are entitled to tomorrow.It's sad how we seem to think we will live for ever.Death comes and may we ever keep this in mind.More than so,may we ever remember that Christ is busy deciding our fate and anytime the door of mercy may close on each one of us.May we improve every opportunity,for the sake our Master,our souls and that of others.

Each one of us,whever we can,can do much to brighten our surroundings and draw others to God.

"No one can practice real benevolence without self-denial. Only by a life of simplicity, self-denial, and close economy is it possible for us to accomplish the work appointed us as Christ’s representatives. Pride and worldly ambition must be put out of our hearts. In all our work, the principle of unselfishness revealed in Christ’s life is to be carried out. Upon the walls of our homes, the pictures, the furnishings, we are to read, “Bring the poor that are cast out to thy house.” On our wardrobes were are to see written, as with the finger of God, “Clothe the naked.” In the dining-room, on the table laden with abundant food, we should see traced, “Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry?”-MYP,320



#It begins with me
#Reviving the Spirit of Dorcas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...