Tuesday 13 October 2015

A Different King

Lately,I've been thinking a lot about God and the more I think of him,the more it becomes difficult for me to comprehend his love for me as an individual and for humanity as a whole.There are many things that stand out for me with regards to God-the Creator.And these traits make me appreciate God more.


His holiness-I am glad that God is holy.Imagine if he wasn't!The misery we'd go through-knowing that he smiles at sinful acts which only degrade and bring misery.Even more,his holiness means he doesn't operate like me.He does not rejoice in evil.He doesn't change-he's the same.

His love-There's something particular about God's love.In fact he is love.What really gets me is that I don't need to do anything to be loved by God.I don't need to have certain traits,look a certain way,speak in a certain manner and possess certain abilities for him to love me.He just loves me.This comforts me.To know that I am accepted for the mere fact that He created me NOT because there's something that makes me likable is humbling.Even in my sinful state God loves me,even if I don't pray-he loves me.There isn't something that I can do that makes me love me more or less.His love is the same regardless of what I do or do not do.

His grace-God's grace empowers.It does not leave me in my sinful state but it calls me out of my sinful ways.This is beyond human comprehension.Not only does God love me but he wants me to be like him-holy.And so he gives me strength to reach His level.

The right to copy him-We live in a world where people will try to make the road harder if someone is trying to reach a certain level.The scenario I can come up with is of a particular employer who does all in his capability to make sure a particular individual doesn't get a certain job even if he's qualified for it and possesses everything the job requires.In fact, things like racism come to mind.But God is NOT jealous of us being like him.In fact,he begs us to copy him.He wants us to be exactly like him.Often,I have noticed that one who holds the highest position always wears differently-just so he can stand out.But not so with God.He says speak like me,think like me,etc,so that in being like me,I may receive glory.

He's a good example-One thing that has really made my Christianity journey more easier is having an example in my mother.I've always loved how she preached what she practised.Often,children complain of parents who have double standards.They'll preach about kindness and speaking kindly always,but they're often the first ones to not do this.What stands out for me about God is that he shows us  how to do all that he requires of us.This means if I cannot get a concept,he will teach me.Isn't that wonderful?He teaching me about what love truly is,how to forgive and he continually teaches me how to do every command.

He's gone through all and more-There's nothing as comforting as knowing that there's someone who understands what you've been through,but it becomes more comforting when they've gone through it themselves.And that's what sets God apart.Jesus has faced the most cruelty and SOP goes on to say that we will never be called to face such difficult situations like Jesus did.I mean what's the worst than carrying everyone's sins-even those who will decide to reject you as their personal Saviour?Nothing!He knows what rejection is like,he knows what it's like to be hungry,he's lost loved ones,he's been hungry (although he's the creator of all),he was misunderstood,he was ridiculed,he was slapped by a priest,he was beaten,he was betrayed,he was crucified and more.Some of us will never be crucified and some do not even know what it's like to be hungry-they've always had much.Some do not even know what poverty looks like-yet Jesus knows.

Not a reminder of my sins/past:What I mean is,God moves on!He doesn't spend his time reminding me of my sins I've asked forgiveness for.And I mean,we can say,he has a right since he's the one who forgives .But no!He doesn't even remind me of my sinful past.He is more concerned on who he wants me to be :).Such love!

In fact,everything about God stands out for me.

And the Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and the fourth generation.”-Exodus 34:6-7


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...