Tuesday 2 October 2018

Encouragement to 'teachers'


I have the lovely privilege of teaching 10 year olds at church. This journey of teaching children started in 2014 when I was not in school and had nothing to do. So I adopted about 4 girls whom I started teaching Bible, Languages and Mathematics. It went well although they’d overwhelm me at times. 

Then in 2015 I had the privilege of working with kids at a mission camp in Limpompo. I must confess though that I wasn’t really pleased with this as I felt I was missing out on the evening crusades and I really felt robbed. I did form friendships with some children and upon leaving, I remember giving one girl the heads up on respecting her parents and what-not. And fast forward to the following year, and we received the news that she had drowned in a river when they had gone for a swim. Who knows? I’ll just leave it there.

As years went on, I developed a love for teaching and an interest in true education. I’m nowhere near where I should be in terms of what constitutes true education but the education system has been nothing but a disappointment and I know with some of my friends that has been a similar experience. A disappointment because it didn’t prove much helpful (minus my laziness and depression). It hasn’t helped me to be less dependent and much of an independent thinker; nor has it given me skills which can help me to be self-employed and of much use to society. And I guess my earnest desire is to experience true education for myself and share it with the younger generation.

And so, I believe teaching at church is a God-given appointment to explore. I’d be lying if I said this has been easy from the get-go. To begin with I learnt that there were various things that initially proved as a hindrance. The children upon meeting them did not have daily devotions, some could not read in English, some struggled with basic things like being able to transfer notes on their own personal books and so forth. I was overwhelmed. How is it that 10 year olds had to be told what to do? Why did they have to be spoon fed? Why did they not have accountability? 

My first step was to go to God and just talk to him about these issues and I receive counsel from books such as Counsels to parents, teachers, and students and others. But the victory came with prayer and having more real talks.

What frustrated me the most was their lack of motivation. But the more I spoke to their parents and visited their homes, I realized there were many underlying issues; and I’ve had to sympathize, lend an ear and to understand. Truth is, children go through a lot; especially when their home circumstances are not okay.

 Manier times upon learning about their situations I’ve had to pray much and counsel. It goes beyond the books. It calls for commitment beyond the book covers and the allotted time. It takes everything.

  But as we speak now, things have taken a complete change. There was one particular girl who really frustrated me. She couldn’t read, do basic arithmetic, or   even remember what was being taught in class. So I approached her mother and there has been improvement. But now she has gone from that to having a desire to learn, not only has her memory improved but she’s even excited to learn. She even comes and asks when we are we having class. Essentially, I thank God because I know this is His doing.

 And so to you dear teacher, who happens to be childless: God qualifies even the childless to teach. God does more than we can imagine in the minds of the children we teach. Above all, He transforms you. I am happier, less uptight and I enjoy being around these lovely children. They have taught me how to love, how to be patient, how to suppress unkind words and all the more. They have added so much to my life and God willing, I hope we’ll spend the next coming years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...