Monday 15 October 2018

My heart is starting to bleed on a daily basis : Part 1

On behalf of children growing up in this day & age; especially those who live in Christian homes.
Their home lives should be different. They should be different because they are not of the world. But the more you observe, your heart breaks. It breaks because innocent children are brought to this world without any proper preparations. This is not to say these children are any less important; but the only concern is: little care is placed when raising them. So much emphasis is placed on taking care of physical needs; but little importance is placed on the cultivation of character, skills & abilities.

Parents are pleased if their children have some As in their report cards. But the truth is, sometimes As are a false indicator of the capabilities of a child. Anyway, what really saddened me this previous weekend is: I had asked one parent to assist her daughter with revision and she said she'd try. And on Sabbath she came to tell me she had tried but her daughter is struggling a bit. Mind you, this daughter of hers has so much potential. She's one of my top students.

I then tested her and she knew nothing. And I couldn't help but wonder: how is that parents can facilitate potty training but not mental activities? As a parent you're the most acquainted with your children, how can it then be difficult to help them with school work and other activities? I couldn't understand.Anyway the child was just lazy. So I had to force her to read, pinch her and smiled with her and by the end of it all: we finished 2 stories and our relationship was not even marred. She even came to class again on Sunday- even went to fetch me for class :).

It's really crucial to lay this particular principle for our children: feelings aren't true guides. Just because you don't feel like it , doesn't mean you should not do it.

Anyway, there are many sad stories just from this past weekend and you can't help but wonder: why not wait till you are complete and everything is sorted and are willing to ensure the best in the development of your child before having one?

Anyway, who says you owe them children? If you truly aren't prepared, why have a child who sadly becomes a burden? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...