Wednesday 17 October 2018

My heart is starting to bleed on a daily basis: Part 2


Reflections about Sunday (14/10/18)

There's another group of children. They come from affluent families. Definitely nothing wrong with this. So these are the kids who wear smart clothes and everyone wants to be friends with them.They attend model C schools. Some don't. But you can tell they come from privileged backgrounds.

I don't teach this  group of kids because they belong to the Adventurer Club, aged 2-9. So this past Sunday I had the privilege of teaching these children. Their teachers had not arrived yet so I figured I could help.

When I viewed their books I was shocked. Little work to nothing had been done. So I told the first boy I was helping to come to me whenever he needs assistance for the day. And this really broke my heart. His mother is always working and the father is occasionally present. I just found myself wondering about when does he get to spend time with his dad. I found myself wondering if he has the experience of sharing all his childhood trials and experiences with his mother. Sure, it's great that dad is there- but he needs mom too.

I couldn't help but realize that sometimes parents use money to make up for their lack of their availability in their children's lives. Sure, they want the best for the children; but I'm realizing that children appreciate closeness and intimacy; more than other things and this is good for them on so many levels.

Then this little girl. My heart literally broke. I assisted her. I saw 2 scriptures she had to memorize and next to them both was written homework. When I inquired as to why she had not done  her homework, she said her mom was busy and couldn't assist her. Arg man, I was sad. When she said it she sounded quite heart broken. I 'cry' for her today. Her brother also needs attention. It's a mess.

There's also another hyperactive boy  who's just busy and never wants to settle down. But yesterday he insisted that I teach him as well. And as I read out loud to him- he laid his head on my shoulder.

I exist for him. I exist for the little girl whose mom is too busy to assist. Sure, I'll wonder why. But I'll mother these children occasionally or whenever they need me. I believe I exist to mother other people's children who due to circumstances cannot be there.

Image Source

http://kissingthecollarbone.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-mothering-blackness.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...