Wednesday 22 June 2016

BE INTENTIONAL ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD!


It's easy to get weary in this Christian journey.One moment of carelessness,one moment of giving in,one moment of sleeping can lead to a stagnant walk with God.And it takes much effort to just get back where you were spiritually.I've had such an experience myself. I took time to evaluate the cause.Although I will not go into detail due to time or saving the info for a later stage,there are a few things I've noted.

We are to be intentional with our relationship with God.I'm sure we have all pursued something;whether it's a degree,weight loss or whatever.In pursuing something,we are not to lose focus and there's a reason behind pursuing something.Let's take an example of pursuing a degree:you pursue it so that you can make a living and be helpful to others.

I've learnt that when we understand how important God is to us,then He becomes a priority.I'm at a point in my life where I realize I need God the most.Even if I may have people to turn to,they are limited.They cannot give me strength when I'm weary,they cannot give me victory over sin and they cannot be omnipresent.These qualities I can only find in God and He is my refuge.And since my relationship with God is so crucial,then there are things I cannot do without like prayer and reading His Word.So I need to daily make a conscious decision to pray and have my devotions and spend time with Him.

It's also important to have goals.It's important to assess your relationship with God and decide what you need to improve on and what  you'd love to learn.In my case,I've realized that my knowledge of prophecy (Daniel and Revelation) is limited and I need to study these subjects extensively.And I've decided to do something about this.So,we need to always have aims we'd like to achieve and it is through this that we grow.We are to grow in knowledge and application.But if we do not set specific times to study God's Word,to pray,to meditate,then all is in vain.

One important lesson God has taught me this year that I'm really thankful for is the power of CHOICE.I always wondered why my relationship with God was stagnant until I realised how crucial choice is in my growth.I always have a choice.A choice to choose between that which will help me eternally and that which will give me temporal pleasure.So,I got to understand that listening to the muffinz would be good and bring pleasure,but the music wouldn't lead me to love God more and hunger after spiritual food.Whenever we are faced with decisions,it's important to weigh these options.Yes,you might not necessarily feel like it,but you've got to choose.I can't count the times when the thought of doing my devotion excited me but until I actually do the devotion,all is in vain.

There's been moments of weariness,times when I've felt lonely-missing my beloved mother and my beloved twin.Missing my beloved sisters in Christ.Times I've felt void of courage and just wanted to sleep and let the hand of God slip.But when I used the strength God gave me and chose prayer and His Word,I have always become uplifted and comforted.God's Word and His promises comfort the soul more than anything.

And so,we need to make our time with God enjoyable.It's not an obligation but one of the precious moments.Time with your Creator,Father and Friend.Choose Him over temporal pleasure.If it means sweat,tears,then be it,because God is so much worth it.Christ trod the path and he resisted unto blood.We have not resisted unto blood.We have not been weary such that we have daily felt exhausted.There's a narrow way.Many have walked it.There's blood on the white wall,blood to encourage us to continue.Let's soldier on.

"Wherefore seeing that we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,let us lay aside every weight ,and the SIN which easily beset us,and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,Looking unto Jesus the AUTHOR and FINISHER of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God"-Hebrews 12:1-2(emphasis mine)

"Ye have not yet resisted unto blood,striving against sin."-Hebrews 12:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...