Saturday 10 September 2016

23 Years Later & a reflection


I thank God for granting me this day:).I am thankful for His faithfulness in my life.I was actually praying that,I'd spend this day with God.I am thankful that He has granted the desire.I must admit,this week was challenging.It was just too much.But I was comforted knowing that God is there for me.I think as you grow,you just learn to depend fully in God and what a sweet experience it is to look back and see God's leading in your life.

But one thing makes this day so special:the encounter I had with a certain lady in the train station this morning.But let me give you a background on this: a month ago,I realized that I was more pharasical-I care more about the ordinances of God while lacking in love.I asked God to help me with this aspect in my life:balancing justice with mercy and love.

So,today I got at the train station at 9 am and I had hoped that there'll be a train to Belville.Unfortunately there wasn't.And as I was preparing I had hoped that my 'lateness' will serve a purpose.

Minutes later,a lady came to sit next to me;but she soon left after 10 minutes.I set there to read my Bible and then I did my intercessory prayer.Ten minutes later,she came back again and she was telling me how her friend is making her angry.They were supposed to meet and now the friend was ignoring her calls and whatsApp messages.So,we spoke along those lines:how people tend to check whatsApp messages when they are to busy to reply and then we misinterpret this as being ignored etc.I told of her of my experiences and I actually told her that we should not get angry over unneccesary things anyway.

I also told her,it helps to tell someone when you not happy about something rather than being angry and hoarding grudges towards the person.This is something that has taken me very long to apply.So,we continued to chat and she said I was calm.Her comment reminded me of my testimony.I used to be one moody,angry individual;especially during PMS.I'd just get irritated at the silliest things and my brother will be angry.

I remember how,when I was in my teen years a lady told a story about this girl who had 2 lives:at school she was the sweetest and at home disrespectful.I saw myself in her because I always mumbled when my mom sent me to do something etc.I remember realizing that I no longer wanted to be that girl.I prayed asking God to give me victory over my temper and I'm thankful that,over the years,God has changed me.I still get tempted to lose my temper at times but God is helping me.

So,she was touched and we continued to converse since we took the same train.I shared about the importance of having God in one's life.Then,she went on to tell me about her household troubles.Then,I shared about the importance of having God as a foundation.It's like having an dvocate for both parties,who as you pray,lead you towards each other.Having God as a foundation means,even if things come and shake the home,God will be there and help you go through it.

I shared about the Sabbath,and she understood the beauty about it.She asked me about how I dress,how we Christians conduct relationships and if I date non-Christians.I told her about my dress reform journey,courtship and not being unequally yoked and it was such a beautiful moment.

What I liked about this is,I was speaking about my experiences,what God has been doing for me and sharing my principles.It wasn't forced or me 'trying' to appear Christian.And I realize,as much as we ought to be preaching present truth;sometimes sharing what God has done for us is all that is needed.

Through my interaction with this sweet lady I've learnt that,people are really struggling out there and they have no one to go to.They just need us to lead them  to the One who has the deepest interest in them and who loves them.

Like I said in my post-mission reflection post,some people are just hungry for God and are ready to receive God's Word.We just need to be willing vessels and God will impress them and continue the work He has started.

Reflection #7 : The Importance of intercessory Prayer

Back in 2013,I used to have a friend who always spoke about intercessory prayer.I really never understood what the big deal was all about.I  understood that it was important to pray for others but my understand was vague.So,I then met a friend who then became my prayer partner.It was through such that I learnt how crucial it is to pray for others.

As the years have gone by,I have realized the importance of intercessory prayer.I have sinceappreciated intercessory prayer as I've seen it changing me.I believe to a certain degree,I'm here today because of intercessory prayer.There has been time when I don't feel like prayer or continuing in this great controversy;but I'd have strength to continue because someone is praying for me.

Personally,since I've started interceding for others,my love for prayer has increased.I used to view prayer as an obligation or just a way to get what I wanted.But as I continued to read about prayer,I have learnt that prayer is communing with God and it is more beautiful when we are honest with God.

Also,the book of Numbers has taught me the importance of intercessory prayer.In fact, we are admonished to pray for each other.Even Christ prayed for His disciples and us (John 17).In fact,during the journey of the Israelites,there are countless occasions where Moses prayed to God to spare the Israelites and God will spare them.

I cannot express how important praying for others is.Many a life has been saved through one's prayer.

"Jesus, when preparing for some great trial or some important work, would resort to the solitude of the mountains and spend the night in prayer to His Father. A night of prayer preceded the ordination of the apostles and the Sermon on the Mount, the transfiguration, the agony of the judgment hall and the cross, and the resurrection glory.
We, too, must have times set apart for meditation and prayer and for receiving spiritual refreshing. We do not value the power and efficacy of prayer as we should. Prayer and faith will do what no power on earth can accomplish. We are seldom, in all respects, placed in the same position twice. We continually have new scenes and new trials to pass through, where past experience cannot be a sufficient guide. We must have the continual light that comes from God.
Christ is ever sending messages to those who listen for His voice. On the night of the agony in Gethsemane, the sleeping disciples heard not the voice of Jesus. They had a dim sense of the angels' presence, but lost the power and glory of the scene. Because of their drowsiness and stupor they failed of receiving the evidence that would have strengthened their souls for the terrible scenes before them. Thus today the very men who most need divine instruction often fail of receiving it, because they do not place themselves in communion with heaven."-Ministry of Healing,ch.43,pp.509

"We must live a twofold life--a life of thought and action, of silent prayer and earnest work. The strength received through communion with God, united with earnest effort in training the mind to thoughtfulness and caretaking, prepares one for daily duties and keeps the spirit in peace under all circumstances, however trying."-MH,p512

I hope to expand on this :).Enjoy the rest of your Sabbath as I continue to spend mine with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...