Thursday 22 September 2016

Lessons from the book of Numbers,Part 1


Finally finished the book of Numbers and it's been such a blessing.I submit to you that revival comes as we study God's word.I've learnt a lot and I pray for stregnth to apply.I consent that the Old Testament was written for us,who are living in the end times.There are many lessons we can take from the Israelites of old,since there are many parallels.I hope you're blessed.

1.God is just,fair,and loving.I'm touched by how,when even wronged,He seeks the good of the people.Yet God in his loving-kindness cannot tolerate sin.He can tolerate a lot of things,but sin He cannot-for it what seperates us from Him and is the only thing he hates.

2.I found it interesting that in the older days,the people were divided into tribes.And I love how men were the leaders-protecting the family.They were the ones who'd go to war or represent their families.While this happened,there was order.It's also important to note that,it was not common in those days to find a child or a son who didn't know his father.Have you noticed how when someone is introduced in the Bible,the father is mentioned...like Joshua,the son of Nun.So,I believe the structure of the family was well ordered and we hear little about abandonment of children,irresponsible fathers etc.So,we see when the family follows God's order-the man leading,protecting,providing,the family is likely to thrive.

I believe this was the structure within the african context.But as apartheid occured,it seems men-especially South African men somehow lost their identity-their roles,positions etc.It makes me wonder if,to a certain degree,apartheid has played a role in breaking the family structure-since the man of the household would have to work in the mines,while living the wife to fill her role and his.Things I'd like answers to-perhaps things I need to research more.

3.There is no power that can compel us to sin except our own choosing.I think of Balaam trying to curse the Israelites but it did not work.It goes back to what I shared some time ago,we sin because we choose so.Balaam tried cursing the Israelites,it did not work.Until they decided to give to relations with the Moabites women.

4.The more we disregard God's voice,the more danger we face.

Balaam decided to disregard God's first instruction to not go with the servants of Balak.But still God made it clear to him until he almost died due to not listening to the horse.Even so,he goes on and God tries to save Him.But he later comes up with a plan and at the end of it all,he died.

5.God has many ways to save us and He does ALL in His power to save us.

I think of how sometimes we put ourselves in situations where we are likely to be tempted;but God still comes through for us.I think how even I,when I had regarded God's voice,He'd still wrestle with my conscience until I'd listen.With this said,God's hand is NOT limited to save us.All we ought to do is to cry to Him in sincerity,confess and repent.

6.Praying for each other is so important...very.

I think of the number of instances the Israelites were saved because Moses interceded for them.In Ezekiel 9 we also find those who will be sealed crying for the abominations-this of course includes rebuking;but it DOES NOT end there.In fact,it begins with praying for those who are in error.As I see others erring,do I point of fingers and laugh,thinking I'm better or do I sincerely spend sleepless nights praying for them.

Sometime ago,I was reading about Ellen White's journey to coming to the truth and understanding what being pardoned by Christ means.When she finally grasped that salvation was not accompanied with 'excitement' but peace etc,she'd pray sleepless nights praying for her friends until they all got converted (she also shared her testimony with them).

As we see the church being worldly,as we see music nights taking the form of worldliness,as we see so much wrong happening,let's cry to God aloud for ourselves and our brethren.

"We, too, must have times set apart for meditation and prayer and for receiving spiritual refreshing. We do not value the power and efficacy of prayer as we should. Prayer and faith will do what no power on earth can accomplish. We are seldom, in all respects, placed in the same position twice. We continually have new scenes and new trials to pass through, where past experience cannot be a sufficient guide. We must have the continual light that comes from God."-MH,p.509

*if there are erros,didn't have time to edit*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...