Thursday 1 September 2016

The plight of a black man-Part 1


I think it has actually dawned on me that,being a black South African man is the hardest thing. For some time, I've judged the black man harshly,expecting more from him.Well,I still do.Our circumstances or our background can never be an excuse on who we become.Although they influence our habits, they do not determine who we become- because Christ died for us and we each have choice to exercise to determine who we become.

But the sad thing for a black man is,he doesn't have much role-models to draw a pattern from;especially if he is raised by his single mother.At times even if the father is there;he misrepresents manhood/ fatherhood because he doesn't know better or he's just being irresponsible.

The sad reality is,even when surrounded by older Christian males,who also have not had father figures,they sometimes misrepresent what manhood is about.I remember how my twin brother will witness these men changing girl after girl.I don't blame them neither do I condone them.So,in a young boy's mind manhood becomes associated with the number of girls he can get. Or manhood is associated with what one has materialistically rather than virtue/character.

But I believe it is a duty of every Christian man,regardless of His background,to allow Christ to change him into the man He wants him to be-to learn from Him and to ask for strength to be changed into the image of Christ.And as Christ continues to do this for Him,he has a responsibility to other young boys who are still finding themselves.It might not necessarily be mentorship;but he can still play a role-by example and guidance.

I pray for you young black South African men.Your plight is not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...