Monday 5 September 2016

Reflection #3, 4,5 & 6


Continuing with the reflection of what being 22 taught me :). Find the two previous reflections here and here (makes sense-doesn't to me!?).

Reflection # 3: Cultivate a spirit of gratitude

I admit it,life can be overwhelming even for someone as young as I.You can find yourself so absorbed in the cares of this world,the struggles,academic pressure and Christianity duties.But in all of that we need not to be gloomy.We have Jesus who's doing all He can to save us so that we can stay with Him forever in eternity.Yet the same Jesus said we'll have tribulations and He himself suffered much.There are times when I get tired of all that's happening around and within:poverty,racism,poor healthcare facilities and expensive healthcare services, and many other things.Dwelling on all the social issues can drive you crazy to the extend that you start doubting God.That's what satan would like.I believe it is because of this that we are "rejoice in the Lord,always" (Philippians 4:4).

This year God has been teaching me to count my blessings,even if I find myself lacking or going through difficulties.What I really appreciate about my university is that it suitable for those who are disabled,amputatees,visually challenged.So,I have become exposed to these individuals.I remember one individual who does not have the other army asking in one of our cooking classes if we knew of any device to chop vegetables.

There was also an incident where an older man asked me help him search for magnifier since he cannot see much :(.This got me teary.Just looking at him search for words in the keyboard is just breaking and to think we take sight so slightly.We met again and he had asked another guy.So,this guy asked him why he doesn't buy spectacles and he said they don't help.Imagine!

It struck me-how grateful I should be.The sad thing about us is,we have this "I deserve it" mentality so much that we are even blinded to the little blessings such as having full functioning limbs.I can't even imagine how I'd operate with one of my limbs missing.The truth is,we don't deserve anything.The fact that when Christ came to die He removed the penalty of sin is enough.Often,we expect God to remove the evils too.He will just not now.It helps to remember that,Jesus Himself-second person of the Godhead,God Himself,suffered more than any of us will ever suffer.Who are we that we should not?

We also commanded to not murmur.If you think of it in depth,murmuring is overlooking what God has blessed you with.God hates when we murmur (Numbers 14) and satan rejoices;since such misrepresents God.We have so much to be grateful for.Daily,there's something to be grateful for.Daily,I make a mental list of gratitude and I thank God.This cultivates gratitude.


Reflection # 4: Exercise the same patience Jesus shows to you and do not forget where God has taken you from


When I started reforming dress wise,I suddenly expected everyone to reform.I mean,how can they not understand the beauty of dress reform?Why were they still wearing their skimpy outfits I'd think UNTIL it dawned on me that,God is dealing with us differently.By this I mean,He might be working on something for one person while working on another for someone else.Like now,I still need victory over biscuits while another person may be dealing with anger.So,we're all at different stages in our Christianity and I believe God is working in each one of us so that we can reach a stage where we have uniformity amongst us.

We're counselled:"Every association of life calls for the exercise of self-control, forbearance, and sympathy. We differ so widely in disposition, habits, education, that our ways of looking at things vary. We judge differently. Our understanding of truth, our ideas in regard to the conduct of life, are not in all respects the same. There are no two whose experience is alike in every particular. The trials of one are not the trials of another. The duties that one finds light are to another most difficult and perplexing(emphasis added)"-Ministry of Healing,Chapter 41,page 483

Since we're so different,we should always remember we  at some  point,also lacked understanding on certain doctrines and we're continually learning.

Reflection # 5: Respect other people's individuality:

There are no two whose experience is alike in every particular. The trials of one are not the trials of another. The duties that one finds light are to another most difficult and perplexing(emphasis added)"-Ministry of Healing,Chapter 41,page 483 

I've noticed this spirit amongst believers of expecting people to bow to our views of what they should be.The desire to have people hold the same views as yours,as if our minds operate the same time.To want them to be under your command as if god.We should NOT enforce our views/ways of thinking that are NOT doctrinally based on others.Allow people to make their own choice,when these choice do not clash with principle.

Reflection #6 :Put yourself in their shoes FIRST:

There are no two whose experience is alike in every particular. The trials of one are not the trials of another. The duties that one finds light are to another most difficult and perplexing"-Ministry of Healing,Chapter 41,page 483


 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, miss. LOL at the biscuits thing. Sounds so cute. At least EGA doesn't call for you to be disciplined by the church for that one . Here's hoping you gain the victory.

    ReplyDelete

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...