Tuesday 4 September 2018

Birthday Reflections: 22. Parents do ERR & they aren’t perfect [Introduction]





I think we grow up thinking parents are perfect and of course they are supposed to be exemplary. Unfortunately, some are not. Not only are they not exemplary but they do not change for the better. And this really brings heaviness to the soul. As I continue to observe my parents and that of others, I have concluded that it is well for me to respect my parents. But I’ve learnt that they are not always right and sometimes their wishes for me go against my own conscience. But what I’ve observed is that mothers tend to be the better parent while the father just …oh well. I’ve personally concluded that parenthood is not for those who are not repenting and gaining victory over sin on a daily basis. It’s also not for people who are not transparent. I just think one has to think thoroughly before having a child; consider how they will contribute positively in all the facets of the child’s life. There’s much to consider because the child’s life will be affected immensely for the good or for the worst; save the grace of God. I also am learning that the PARENT-CHILD relationship requires effort from both parties. But it’s not easy, especially with us Black folks. It’s rare to have a relationship where you can freely share every aspect of your life without shame or feeling that you’re disrespectful.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...