Tuesday 25 September 2018

Breaking free from the shackles of social media


A week ago, I decided to break free from the grip of social media except for Instagram (photography pages are my joy). Oh, and I only chat to beloved one on whatsApp. Nothing personal. It just got exhausting. I have realized that social media somehow perpetuates being unreal. Somehow people put on the perfect pictures, perfect this or that. Everything is rosy. It's as if you aren't enough and you need more whenever you go online.

If it's not that-it just get's tiring. The constant communication which doesn't really make up for real intimacy is exhausting. And lastly, it's really time consuming. My weakness was the status updates-any platform where I can write becomes a snare. So ja, I was there- updating, sharing and it just got to a point where I felt like I was oversharing. So what if I've just read a particular article? Essentially I didn't want to lose on the real moments while updating. I wanted to break free from keeping appearances.

And it's been so freeing! I have more time on my hands. I don't feel any pressure to write anything (because blogging makes up for it :) ). I'm just living life on my own pace and honestly, I plan on living like this till Jesus comes. I feel like in the near future I'll just have a smart phone and not use WhatsApp and Facebook.

I want more real, face to face relationships and these are more rewarding.

So ja, I am not returning from this sabbatical! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...