Monday 7 March 2016

A life of Momentary Pleasure VERSUS A life consecrated to Christ


Sometime last week I listened to Leslie Ludy's sermon titled an "undivided heart" and I was rebuked.The Holy Spirit convicted me of the fact that I am still not entirely consecrated to God and I sometimes live as if I have no purpose by choosing to live a life free from duty.

And when I did my friday evening devotion,I decided to read Hebrews 11.Just a side note:I love God-The Holy Spirit.I just love how He will even lead us to the type of Scripture that will reveal our true condition.Indeed,Heaven has poured everything to secure our souls.I'll have no one to blame but myself if I do not make it to heaven.

Back to the topic:I read Hebrews 11 and verses 24-25 really stood out for me.In fact,my small-heart trembles at this Scripture:


24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

My heart broke when I thought of the times I chose pleasure over an investment to my future-eternal life.Now I realize how crucial it is to be always "vigilant and sober;to redeem time" because the devil is ever setting traps to distract us from the focal point-which is to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling".

And I must point out that some of these momentary pleasures are not necessarily sin in and out of themselves,but they cause us to focus on the earthly things rather than heavenly,thus weakening us.These may include:

Spending endless hours on Facebook,while neglecting prayer,study of God's Word, witnessing and our daily responsibilities 

Being in a relationship out of God's will and perfect timing

Living a life of self-indulgence:over-eating,spending money on clothes,wasting times feeding self;instead of going about our Father's business.Believe me,there's a lot of work we can do for God

Choosing to give in to fleshy desires instead of restraining them by the power God gives us

Choosing to day-dream instead of focusing on earthly themes and reading material that we'll inform us and make us profitable to the society at large and so on.

And the question is,the pleasure we choose to indulge in:are these pleasures making our relationship with God stronger and are they encouraging us to make victory over every defect;or they are weakening our conscience and stilling the voice of the Holy Spirit?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...