Friday 21 August 2015

ARE MERIT AWARDS REALLY OKAY

( Disclaimer: I haven't made any conclusions:I'm still trying to figure this out )

When I got to grade 10,I changed to a new school.The school had a Top 20 list for well performing students and it was released each term.As much as I enjoyed learning,the list was the driving force in all that I did (good side I guess);but the downside was that I never really studied to gain knowledge.The top thing on my mind was getting the first place or being in the top 3.

I remember when my twin got to the first position,I had mixed emotions.Happy because he's my blood,he represented my family there;but another part was disappointed and I felt a need to prove to the world that I can get there and I was smarter-eventually did and the pride that I had!But then again,I'm the one who suffers with pride and I guess the merit awards or all the achievements we receive highlight our defects-the Holy Spirit rather highlights our defects through such events.

Four years down the line,God is teaching me what it really means to study.Now,I understand that "to do all to the glory of God" means working hard even in my studies.I now understand that I have to do my utmost-but I understand that I do not possess any strength and God is helping me,so there's nothing to boast about.When I don't get a concept,I consult him,since he's all knowing (and other methods).Secondly,my field of practise requires that I have a well understanding of what I'm learning and to be able to apply it,or it'd kill many lives.

My point is:the underlying motivation in our studying shouldn't be to get better marks than the next person.As much as we need to have goals,they should be underlined by the fact that we want to be a true representative of who God is and serve mankind.What happens when you've been memorizing all along?How will you be able to apply the knowledge?

And sadly,we sometimes apply this mentality in our spiritual lives.We treat God as the judge of "well-performing" Christians.Hence,it is easier to fall into being a modern-day Pharissee.
God isn't comparing you to anyone.The Standard is Christ-Christ alone.

‪#‎As‬ I continue to ponder on the pros and cons of merit awards and the likes

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...