Tuesday 4 August 2015

Who are you REALLY following?

So,today I was at the library and a brother from church came to greet me. As we were speaking,our conversation went in the direction of dress reform and another sister,who's not an adventist came in.She was adamant that how we dress doesn't matter.What she said though made me realise how crucial it is for us Christians to know who we follow.Believe me,there's a huge difference in following God and claiming to follow God.She mentioned how one lady wears trousers and she still has her own ministry.All this was her telling me that:if she,a godly woman wears trousers,then why sholdn't she?She went on to say that we're freed and I asked her,"What are we freed from?" and she didn't really answer me.

But here are some things I have to address:

-When we accept Jesus Christ, that means he is a standard for all that we do (1 John 2:6) and so is God's Word-"men shall not live by food alone,but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (paraphrased,emphasis mine).What gets me from this text is, the fact that it teaches us that we are not to only stop at doing the 10 commandments but we are to adhere to every other thing found in the word of God.

-For example, we are told that an elder/bishop must be a male.Are we then going to say because this isn't in the 10 commandments it's not crucial?No!My point is,it doesn't end at the 10 commandments.Every other command must be adhered to.

So,everything we do as Christians must adhere to God's Word.In fact,we are told that the Bible is for "reproof,correction,and is profitable for doctrine" but strangely enough we do not go back to the source of doctrine.Instead,we choose to follow theories of men and women we highly esteem and we forget that they are NOT the standard.The may speak the truth and be examples but we are to be careful not to esteem them more than God's Word and the testimonies.You get people,when commanded to do something that will ask:"Did Ellen White do it?".That's asking the wrong question.I'm learning that as a Christian I'm always to ask:"What says God?"We cannot follow men because the Christian journey is continuous,we arw forever learning.There's never a point whereby we know everything.So,just because someone knows much of God's requirements doesn't mean they know everything.

Also,we fall into the trap of doing certain things because those we highly esteem do them.And these may be good things,but shouldn't be our motivation for doing such.Every action and practise of the Christian is supposed to stem from God's word.Deception is rife and we are like to be deceived if we don't know God's Word.
   

Then there's the second argument that most Christians raise:"we have been freed,the law was nailed in the cross.We are living under grace".But sadly this is partially true.See,most people often make this claim but when I ask if that means I can kill,they quickly say no.Others say the Old Testament has been done away with,but if that's the case,does that mean God didn't create the world?

According to my biblical knowledge:the ceremonial laws and the festivals are the ones that were done away with since they were a "shadow" of Christ dying in the Cross and they were fulfilled in His death hence the "nailing at the cross".But the moral law stands forever!

I now realise my need to study God's Word.Such confusion,when God's Word is so clear.We really need to come unbiased when reading God's Word and we need a teachable spirit.I pray that as Christians we may possess the Spirit of the Bereans.We really need it.


I'm afraid that we sometimes think we know more than God and we are more correct than Him :(.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...