Sunday 23 August 2015

Who will be model the life of Jesus for the young ones?


I remember growing up in the church.I yearned for a role model (apart from my mom and the elderly women),a young lady who could model out what it really meant to be Christ-like.There were young ladies and I often admired listening to them share the Word during Pathfinder programmes and the likes.But one thing confused me:the same dear ladies who stood up front,were the same ones who made me not get what Pathfinder fairs and Camp Meetings were all about.Pathfinder fairs were about meeting the opposite sex and so were Camp Meetings.It was also about new outfits instead of meeting with the Lord.So in my young mind,I ended up thinking these events were all about looking good and meeting the opposite sex.

After some time,I lost interest in Pathfinder events since they weren’t doing anything for my spiritual life.I got discouraged since I didn’t see much difference from the wordlings and us.
In the end,I thought it was all about beautiful outfits and the company you keep.

When I got to matric,I stopped attending church and I pursued my education-that’s what I lived for.In 2012,I had the privilege of studying at Rhodes University.I now look back and see God’s leading in my being there.I remember being amazed at what I saw at Rhodes SDASM.For the first time,I saw young people who loved serving the Lord,who were so disciplined and so committed to God.Not only were they Christians on Sabbath but throughout the week.They would actually beg me to come to church and the likes.The more time I spent with them,I desired to know the God they were serving,since I had only been a churchgoer and on the 11th of August,I decided to follow God.

And I can never thank God enough for such people and because of their example.And because of the light that God has revealed to me I feel accountable to God and to the young girls and boys in the church.Last year, I attended an AWM programme and there were young girls and some young boys.Some of the young girls were throwing themselves at boys-hugging,making arrangement etc and I was pained.I wondered if this was what God wanted for these young souls.But at the same time I felt accountable,since the young generation is imitating what we do as the youth.

This is my prayer for each one of us as young people,I pray that we may live according to the light that God has given us so that the young ones may be drawn to God through us.As much as we are not the standard,”Christ is waiting with eagerness to see the manifestation of his character in the church” and I believe when we start living for God,the young girls and boys,will be drawn to him and they will seek to have an experience with God.

I feel like Christianity has stopped being a lifestyle and it’s now an event.It ‘s now all about going to church to meet with friends,take pics and post on facebook.We are not even acquainted with each other.We know each other on the surface.We lack love and it’s my prayer that God may give us His love.Love that will make us carry each other’s burdens,love that will make us pray with and for each othe.Love that will find out why the other sister/brother is no longer coming to church.

Young girls need ladies that will model what Christianity is all about.We owe it to them and to God.They need to know what it means to have a ‘”meek and quiet spirit” by looking up to us.We have a responsibility of modelling out what it means to be covered by Christ’s righteousness.By our speech and conduct,they need to see what it means to have the mind of Christ.And so do young boys.It’s not enough for young men to stand up front and preach and sing,they need young men who’d actually resemble Christ through and through.Won’t we ,as young people,start leading the younger ones to Christ by our conduct?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...