Sunday 15 May 2016

Evening Devotion:Part 1

(Based on Judges 1,2)

The sister who was sharing was indeed used by God.I've been blessed so much.She shared on the story of Gideon and I decided,I'll start reading the book of Gideon.So,for today's evening devotion I decided to start and I got so many lessons.The beauty about the Old Testament is that,it is relevant even today and there are so many lessons from its stories.I'm thankful for the privilege of reading it-I need more of it.

In the 1st Chapter of Judges,we see the Israelites in despair.They inquire to God who will fight against their neigbors/enemies,which were the Cannanites and God immediately tells them he has already given them victory,Judah must do this.And they obey and God's word is fulfilled.This teaches me that God's promises work hand-in-hand with obedience.As the tribe of Judah started gaining victory,they then decided to not kill some of the other surrounding nations-going contrary to God's command.This made me realize that,when God does things through us,it's easy to be comfortable and to be trustful of ourselves,to the extent that we disregard God's commands.Here is a lesson that,the more victorious we become in our Christian walk,the more we need to depend on God and trust wholly in Him,for it is then that we are safe .

I also wondered,why did God want them to kill the surrounding nations?

Judges 2

Verse 3 gives us the answer to my question.God wanted Judah to destroy the surrounding areas or they would be led to worship idols.So,in God,instructing them to do so,it was to preserve them from falling into sin-idol worship.We later on realize they started to worship the idols of these people.But God,who is ever merciful rose judges who walked in His way and through them,Israel was brought back in serving the Lord.Sadly,when the judges died,they went back to idol worship.

Certain verses stood from this chapter,

verse 7:The people served the Lord throughout the lifetime of Joshua and of the elders who outlived him and who had seen all the great things the Lord had done for Israel.

Now Joshua's life is proof of what God is able to do with those who allow Him to use them.We also see that Joshua's life was a savor of life unto life.His presence and his conduct led many to serve God.I'm challenged here.Is my life leading many to serve God?Is my life a savor of life unto life?And I can only conclude,only a man who dies daily to self can ever lead such a life.Honestly,it is a desire to live such a life and the are times you commit to God that's exactly what you do.But half-way through,self takes over and you mislead others.I believe for one to able to do so,they need to lead a prayerful life and ever be on guard.

Also,we see how powerful is position-it can either lead to others serving the Lord or not.So,those who are in positions should ever be mindful of this,even as individuals.

verse 8: Joshua son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died at the age of a hundred and ten.  

I like how he is recorded as the "servant of God" and nothing more.Sometimes,we get so absorbed into titles,doctor,pastor,wife,single,missionary,that we sometimes lose focus.We are called to be servants of God.Isn't it humbling that Jesus Himself,became a servant-the One who Created the world.How I can I consider such demeaning?How I pray to have the mind of Christ. 

(To be continued on the next blogpost,I do not want it to be too long,that you end browsing through :) ) 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...