Tuesday 3 May 2016

Seeing Yourself through God's eyes


I believe as humans we have a deep desire to know ourselves.Theories on personality,which in psychology,is defined as a set of behavioural,emotional ,and cognitive traits consistent  over time have been develops with the desire to understand mankind's behaviour.The likes of Sigmund Freud have focused on how personality develops, which includes his psychosexual stages of development,that I refuse to believe by the way.The social perspective theory has also had a say,and the likes of Carl Jung and many more.And it was Carl Jung who came with the concept of extraversion and introversion.Other concepts of personality types include a continuum of openness,conscientiousness,extraversion,aggreableness and neuroticism.Even from early centuries philosophers also sought to understand the cause of our behaviour.

And I must say we've done well!And I believe the knowledge of personality types helps you a lot.I've come to understand myself by learning about personality types.But over the years there has been an obsession over IT I think.Books, talks and even workshops have been dedicated on personality types.

But I'd like to remind mankind:there's one person who is truly acquainted with our true personalities and it is God.He's the better person to consult daily,for through His Spirit,He will even make us aware of our defects.I personally am over the personality types talk because,people tend to focus so much on their traits,that they start excusing themselves.I did!And it just somehow narrows you down.You end up conforming to your personality type instead of growing as a person.

As much as we need to be acquainted with our personality,we need to behold Christ more and allow Him to change.Personality is acceptable and good;but character-wise we must represent Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...