Monday 2 May 2016

IT HURTS!!!

I was under the impression that racism died a long time ago.I was of the idea that whites view blacks as human and they realize that they have the right to basic things including the right to own a house wherever they want.But over the past month,a dear sister (older) than me,has faced racism and it's sad.I repost what she went through here  and the sad things is,it has not ended and she's not the only one.But it's a reality,especially in Cape Town.

I remember having a white classmate in one group.She was the only one.She used to be so shocked when I'd get better marks than her.In fact,she'd be moody after seeing I and my friend's test scripts.There were also other two girls who were shocked that a 'black' female student got the highest marks in a certain module.And as I look back,I cannot help but wonder,what is that these individuals have been told about black students.

I've seen cases of colored calling blacks stupid purely on the basis of skin color and it hurts.To be made to feel like "nothing" hurts.To have to prove that you worthy of something hurts.

Why must the color of my skin and  that of my people define them?Why does black mean less intelligent and less of anything?Why must I only be heard when I'm a lighter shade,'white' to be exact?Is it fair that because of our skin color we are not afforded the same opportunities,even if it means the black is more qualified?

We are more than skin color!We are humans-with feelings.We are humans.We are humans and because we are humans,we deserve a shelter-and if we are able to afford it,why must it be with-held on the basis of color.Why must we be treated less than dogs?

Further more,this is my only inquiry,on what basis,do you white people,think of yourselves better than us?I'd like to know out of sincerity.

I mean,does a dog become less of a dog because of it's shade?NO!!!

If white people were immune to some of things we went through I'd think of them as better-but if the basis is money and what you're able to afford,then that's not a better standard.I believe racists often have opinions that they hold that are actually not true.

There is great danger in making conclusions based on generalization.

One black does not represent me!

Let's stop hating!





 

1 comment:

  1. Eish! imagine! And that's the irony. When these things happened-like the white girls being unhappy about your marks-we never clicked. It's only now that you wonder if the horrible things were actually based on racism. Hayi, so much wrong caused by sin. So much wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...