Wednesday 8 July 2015

Cooking Adventures :)

I am excited!I'm super excited since my cooking is improving on a daily basis.Well,the reason I'm excited is because I had mentioned here that I've never been a fan of cooking.My brother did the cooking and I just felt pressured that it didn't come naturally to me as it did to him.I remember my dad asking me why I wasn't keen on cooking and I told him I wasn't getting married.Such ignorance.And to think that I want to be a medical missionary soon.I'd be not thoroughly equipped if I don't know how to cook.I blame Rhodes University and my mom!!!!We had a dining hall so we didn't cook.

Last year I spent the whole year at home and I kinda enjoyed being a "stay-at-home" daughter.But I dreaded the cooking process.I'd get something and the next time it would be a complete fail and I just felt discouraged.Cooking felt like writing trial exams in matric.I just felt like God hadn't given me the talent and I had made peace that I'd never be able to cook.All I could do was cook basic things like rice,macaroni,spaghetti and probably stew and frying veggie stuff-is that cooking though?

This year I came across a video on why cooking is important here.I had read all that has been shared and I learnt that it was my God-given duty to know how to cook.And like Daniel had purposed in his heart not to defile himself with  king Nebuchadnezzar's food,I also purposed in my heart that I was going to learn how to cook.And since I'm renting a flat,I have no choice but to cook.And my cooking is really looking up.

I guess I've always had the idea that cooking takes no practice.It something that you wake up and you're able to do.But that's not how life is.Nothing comes without practice.Like Christianity is a journey of continual advancement,so is cooking.

These days I can cook a meal with 4 different things and I rarely eat bread.Yay!!!Although I must admit there has been times I have miserably failed,made bloopers,it's still coming.I remember feeling frustrated and telling my mom's friend that God hadn't blessed with the cooking skill.And she said that it will come as I keep at it.She was right.I'm even inventing my own recipes.I'm not a fan of recipe books,-I'm enjoying learning how to cook certain things and since I'm sharing a flat I ask when I'm not sure.I'll use cooking books when I'm perfect.

My brother has been my greatest supporter.I've been spending my vac with him,since I've realised that I'm actually a social being and I've been cooking for him.And he's been giving me constructive criticism.I remember cooking split peas and assuming they were well cooked without even tasting them.I felt bad!So,I kept cooking them till I could make them soft.But there has been victories too.Like I always stir fry carrots as opposed to boiled ones and my bro is a big fan.He also liked today's supper,which included mashed potatoes.Although I had felt that I hadn't cooked them like the last time (to perfection) he really enjoyed the meal.He said he'd "pay" for the meal I cooked.I was overjoyed :),still am!

The way I'm excited :).It's so nice to get to a point where you enjoy a meal you've cooked yourself.The joys of cooking!!!!Now,I can invite my "mother" for a meal :-).I should start baking now-baking a cake is gonna be my first baking project.I don't consider baking muffins as much baking/bread.I can't wait to cook for my birth mom!I've always looked forward to the day where my mom wouldn't touch the pots for a week.Can't wait for December so that I can go home and cook for my dearest mother and my dad.

I thank God for teaching me how to cook and cheering me up.Now I have to work on salt-since I always put too little/too much.Or putting too much water.It seems like I've forgotten my bro's advice.To always put little water and build up from there. At least,I woudn't be ashamed to share my lunch with a stranger now.

"Upon no account should the marriage relation be entered upon until the parties have a knowledge of the duties of a practical domestic life. The wife should have culture of mind and manners that she may be qualified to rightly train the children that may be given her."~AH,p.87

"Many ladies, accounted well-educated, having graduated with honors at some institution of learning, are shamefully ignorant of the practical duties of life. They are destitute of the qualifications necessary for the proper regulation of family, and hence essential to its happiness. They may talk of woman’s elevated sphere and of her rights, yet they themselves fall far below the true sphere of woman.



"It is the right of every daughter of Eve to have a thorough knowledge of household duties, to receive training in every department of domestic labor. Every young lady should be so educated that if called to fill the position of wife and mother, she may preside as a queen in her own domain. She should be fully competent to guide and instruct her children and to direct her servants, or, if need be, to minister with her own hands to the wants of her household. It is her right to understand the mechanism of the human body and the principles of hygiene, the matters of diet and dress, labor and recreation, and countless others that intimately concern the well-being of her household. It is her right to obtain such a knowledge of the best methods of treating disease that she can care for the children in sickness,instead of leaving her precious treasures in the hands of stranger nurses and physicians."~AH,p87,88

"The idea that ignorance of useful employment is an essential characteristic of the true gentleman or lady is contrary to the design of God in the creation of man. Idleness is a sin, and ignorance of common duties is the result of folly, which afterlife will give ample occasion to bitterly regret."~AH,p.88

"Young women think that it is menial to cook and do other kinds of housework; and, for this reason, many girls who marry and have the care of families have little idea of the duties devolving upon a wife and mother.
It should be a law that young people should not get married unless they know how to care for the children that are brought into their family. They must know how to take care of this house that God has given them. Unless they understand in regard to the laws which God has established in their system, they cannot understand their duty to their God or themselves."~AH,p.88

"To the health and happiness of the whole family nothing is more vital than skill and intelligence on the part of the cook. By ill-prepared, unwholesome food she may hinder and even ruin both the adult’s usefulness and the child’s development. Or by providing food adapted to the needs of the body, and at the same time inviting and palatable, she can accomplish as much in the right as otherwise she accomplishes in the wrong direction. So, in many ways, life’s happiness is bound up with faithfulness in common duties."~AH,p89







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...