Wednesday 22 July 2015

Social networks and superficiality

There's a trend I've noticed on facebook.In fact, I have come to realise that there's a group that has lost its individuality or purpose due to social networks-mainly facebook.I've noticed that as people we enjoy being liked and that's a fairly reasonable thing.But it all becomes tragic when we do things to be liked,instead of being ourselves.And I for sometime struggled with this concept,although I've never been one to please others.Somewhere down the line I found myself saying things or doing things just so I could be liked.But the Holy Spirit is helping me in this regard and I conclude:we can only become who we are truly are and what we are supposed to be when we understand our identity in Christ.

The sad thing is,not everyone does and due to this,people end up seeking identity or fulfillment in various ways.Some live for comments.Some are even in relationships-not because the end goal is marriage BUT so that they can create this concept about themselves.It's almost as if they are creating this picture perfect life of themselves while in reality,they aren't as close to the people they potray to be in public.

On the other hand,we have a group that has double standards.Some are saints on facebook but in reality they have caused many tears and there are many who can point their gloom on them.Some are confusing people.One minute they are preaching about God and the next minute they pose naked or say things that are not in line with what they preach.

But honestly,there is one who cannot be fooled.I've come to realise that as much as we are to be mindful of how we live,the only person we should try to impress is God.At the end of the day,life goes on.You might be the girl who had the cutest bf,the cutest pics,the most godly statuses but at the end of it all, "do it all for God's glory" and "do everything as unto God" rather than mankind.Mankind's opinion have their place,but God's takes higher priority.

There's much to life than presenting a false image and living just to have people talk.Life is much worth it when it is lived for others,instead of being centered on you!

 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done."~Revelation 22:12

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!! I see this with marriages. People who post, "Oh my husband is so great" but they're telling me he impregnated their sister. Facebook has pretenders, sjoe!

    ReplyDelete

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...