Friday 24 July 2015

My dress reform journey




I’ve always heard that we are to “do all to the glory of God” and I’ve always read this verse thinking that it only related to spiritual practices. Then in 2013, while at Rhodes SDASM a speaker spoke about dress reform. He exhorted the ladies to not be stumbling blocks and he included even the shoes we wear. I was angry because I loved high heels so much and a new shop selling heels had just opened.So, I just dismissed him. But the Holy Spirit convicted me of one thing-being a stumbling block to my brothers. So I purposed in my heart to never wear skirts that show my thighs.

Three months after this, I met a friend who is dear to me. God used him to help me understand the dress reform message. He shared about dress reform on fb and I started wondering if God really cared about what I wore.So,I began searching the word and the first verse I came across was Deuteronomy 22:5 which reads “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God” and soon after reading this passage I came across Malachi 3:6,” For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed”. After reading Malachi I could not argue against the Holy Spirit and I made a decision to never wear my trousers again.

The following day I got into my skinny jean and as I was about to exit the room I just felt naked, as if everyone could see my body. I never wore trousers again.So, I was convinced as long as I wore skirts and dresses I was okay. When I went on to study about dress reform I learnt that the skirt had to cover the legs. My dear friend went on to share about head covering. I must say I was shocked. I wondered why only married women wore covered their hair.I went on to ask two ladies who confirmed. One shared with me Isaiah 47:1-3 in relation to 1 Corinthians 11.

I still wasn’t prepared as I really loved my relaxed hair and showing it off.It took me about a month to come to accept this. I sincerely prayed for God’s direction and he directed me that I needed to cover my head when coming in his presence-by prayer. So, I initially wore the doek when I was going to pray. But since there’s no appropriate time for prayer I realised I needed to wear the covering even during the day.
I also got rid of all my heels .There was one problem though, my heart was still not right. I thought dress reform made me better than others. But as I studied I learnt it was about pleasing God and when I completely understood this it came from the heart. I no longer care what people say as long as God is pleased and my brothers aren’t tempted when looking at me.

Dress reform has made me realise it’s all about God and giving him glory. I’m now at a point where I’m not dressing to be seen but so that Christ can be seen. I no longer feel the deep need of measuring up to other ladies and adhering to the fashion of this world. I feel liberated and I am humbled that I get to have this privilege of wearing for God’s glory. 

"In dress, as in all things else, it is our privilege to honor our Creator. He desires our clothing to be not only neat and healthful, but appropriate and becoming."1Education, 248

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...