Saturday 25 July 2015

My Dress Reform Journey:Part 2

When God made it clear to me that I was to no longer wear trousers and short skirts/dresses (revealing limbs) I was happy but at the same time I felt anxious.I didn't want to look  unpresentable plus I didn't even know how to wear modestly since there wasn't anyone I knew who dressed so.But God, through His providences led me to a Youtube video (Hem of his garment ministries) someone had shared  on fb.When I got there it was talking about how to dress modestly and instantly I knew He was leading me.God is  the author of beauty-so we need not worry about that aspect.He will take care of it.

The hardest part was departing with my high heels,with some of my mini-dresses and my braided her.It seemed like a burden too much to carry.But I now look at what Christ did and know no sacrifice is too much.On the other hand I was nervous about what people would say.But at the same time I was cut by the message and I knew I had to change my dress and it's been a journey!Plus if we do not adhere to the light that has been shared ,it then becomes a curse.There are times where you get discouraged because you are the only one covering your hair and covering up but God uses even  one person to lead others to truth.But at the same time I had to be careful and ask for humility,lest I thought I was more righteous!As much as the way we dress must glorify God,we are to ever to keep in mind that a character after Christ's likeness is what will take us to heaven.

I'm still reforming even now.It hasn't been easy finding long skirts for someone of my height and at times that's really discouraging,so you end up buying whatever you can find(need to learn how to sew).But God has been faithful and I've learnt that when God has called us to something,He provides the means and He will even teach us-but we must allow the Holy Spirit to guide.When He tells us that "the dress is not appropriate" we need to let go.

To those sisters who'd like to reform in dress:Always keep in the forefront that the "work of reformation starts with the heart" and God requires to rid us of sin and produce His character in us and have us bear the fruit of the Spirit.Pray earnestly to God and ask for His Guidance and with a receptive heart study the matter;so that you are founded on God's word and you can answer when asked about your dress.Also,do it for God-if you do it for Him, you will not go back to your old dressing style and even if people may start calling you names, you won't be shaken.

And some,who like me, who depend on their parents for funds- you may wonder where you are to start.But all I can say :25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?~Matthew 6:25-27

It might take a year or much longer to change your clothes to be what God would have them be.Sometimes you might even have to wear the short skirts since you might have one long skirt or two which are for church.But do not be discouraged.In due time,God will provide and do not let the matter of dress occupy the mind in so much that you neglect cultivating a character like Christ's.Dress reform is God's mean to cultivate in us His character-I see it in my life.To those who have the means,do not any longer use God's money to buy that which will not glorify Him.

I feel the responsibility of allowing the Holy Spirit not only to mold my dress but my character because I do not want to be like the fig tree that appeared fruitful until Jesus got closer to it.The heart must be right-then the speech,the character and our influence will draw others to God !  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...