Wednesday 18 February 2015

Motherhood

I've been thinking about motherhood a lot lately .It all started when I attended a Bible Study where they discuss the Adventist Home(book). At first,the thought of being a stay-at-home mother seemed too much for me....No,I was totally against it.I thought,'what's the use of studying,if it will all go to waste?';but then it was explained to me-the course that you choose should equip you to be the best mother and the best teacher to your children.

And I finally get why mothers need to be home-keepers and teach their own kids.And it's got me wondering:if a majority of mothers were home-makers and teaching their kids themselves(or not) will there be:a lot of teenage pregnancy,drug abuse,suicide,increase in HIV status and many other cruel things happening?Would abduction even occur?Okay it will occur-but not much.

It's now clear to me that one of the advantages of  being a stay-at-home mother is getting closer to your children.It's quite a rare thing amongst Africans/Xhosa people.As much as I can talk about anything with my mother-there are areas I am uncomfortable speaking about.And if matters had been different,I assume it would be easier to tell her personal things-not that I keep things from her.

I know for sure that I'd capable of quite of few things like:knitting,crochetting,cooking healthily and other domestic roles.If mothers were home keepers, it would be easier to confide in them and some decision might have been avoided because of the mother's presence.

As I look at it now,it's not much of a sacrifice-it only requires sacrifice and doing all you can for the salvation of your children.But then again,if it's not for you:you can decide to marry and not have children or not marry at all.

It's quite sad that as young women who ponder on marriage,motherhood is the last thing that comes to mind.


*As I learn!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...