Thursday 12 February 2015

Why students/scholars fail?

I've come to realize that failure does not determine one's intelligence quotient.In fact it has little to do with one's mental ability.I've realized that failure,most times,is the result of lack of discipline and time management.I have seen it my life.I've failed certain courses not because I'm dumb;but because I rarely read my books.

See,in High school you can (but shouldn't) study the day before and still get an A.And most of us have used that method.And sadly we still want to use it in varsity.But it DOES NOT WORK!You have a lot of work to do.

Some people fail because they do not understand English.In most black schools/Xhosa-speaking schools you are taught in IsiXhosa- in your home language and it's better to understand.But sadlly,if there's not a balance between one's home language and english you may end up not understanding.It's always better if the school has white teachers.Manier times people have failed,not because they did not study and know what is required;but they do not understand the questions and do not understand the words used.

And guess what?Xhosa-speaking individuals who have been taught in their home language are not the only ones that suffer.This afternoon we were at a tutorial and I was working with a coloured girl and she mentioned that she sometimes struggles because she has been taught in Afrikaans.During orientation I also met a coloured girl who was taught in afrikaans.She told me she chose to do foundation because she wants to get used to English.

There are also other factors like not prioritising and spending loads of time in less important things.I remember when I first came to varsity; I didn't have any social network.So,I joined facebook and I was instantly addicted-because I love writing so facebook accomodated and allowed me to do what I love.I would spend more than 10 hours mainly stalking,updating and reading other people's statuses.But it had to stop.There were times I'd deactivate my facebook and then come back.I later on deleted it;but after 14 days I created another one but I have taken a break and thank God I have not been tempted.

So,I'd advise you:if you'd like to pursue a degree:familiarise yourself with English and take some time to read the dictionary,limit your time on social networks or don't join any and lastly: prioritise-study before socializing or doing your hobbies.


To be continued...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...