Thursday 25 June 2015

Pictures:scattering or gathering for Christ

I've been thinking about the pictures that are often posted on facebook and I have concluded that they are either drawing others to Christ or away from him.Or they tell something about us.There are certain individuals on my fb whose pictures tell of the gospel without them having to say something.Just by looking at their pictures a desire to be sincere to Christ and to live for him has is evoked.Their pictures never draw attention to themselves,behind it all you see God's love.

But at the same time,some give an idea of self-love/self-exaltation and I've been a victim of this and God is helping me :-)!Some,while they may be showing off a modest outfit,the picture still is all about them.They'd pose in various styles in the same outfit and at the end of the day you end up being drawn to the individual rather than the sincere desire behind the picture.Some pictures seem to be an announcement of "look at my closet,I have  many beautiful clothes" and sadly that is not the Spirit of Christ.Then there are those who brag about everything they get-how I pray I do not fall into this trap.Ever posting pics of what dear bf bought her,of what dear husband bought and did-and to a certain extent this is sweet,but not when it's overdone.I personally believe some pictures should be kept in one's phone and not seen by the whole world.

And then there are married couples who post pictures of themselves kissing.I'm personally against pictures of too much public display.I personally believe there's a time and a place for everything.As much as it's okay for MARRIED people to kiss,I don't see how doing it in public/posting such pics is glorifying God.I see it as bragging of some sort:"hey look at me I can finally kiss since I'm married".I feel like there's much more to display about married life other than kissing,since the TV is all about it and the marriage relationship has been dragged to such a low level of uncontrolled passion and lust.

Then there are those who post selfies about themselves-constantly and these selfies have negative connotations-usually they seem to be seeking for attention and usually the selfie  showcases a certain feature.And I've realised people relate to us in the way they interpret our pics.I've often read statuses of girls asking males to stop inboxing them-and of course they may be innocent;but what if the pictures are inviting the males and they are actually screaming "can you see me,i need your attention!" through their pics.

Other pics are the result why some men are tempted and are struggling with sin and I now realize that I even have to be mindful of the pictures I post,lest I misrepresent Christ or I increase while he decreases.It's so easy to misrepresent Christ,hence we are to seek counsel even when we post pics.

2 comments:

  1. What you say is so true. It is silly how we tend to turn the things of God into little gods of our own, if not bigger gods, than the true God who created these things. Our church tend to idolize the marriage relationship. Marriage is good and it is holy but we have also been warned about creating idols of our own, in the things on this Earth, above it, and below it. Newly married couples walk around in matching outfits, posting a 1000 #coupleSelfies, bragging to everyone about how good a husband/wife they have, and husbands outdoing each other at public romantic gestures- no people, enough! These things not only make single men/women insecure and doubtful of their self-worth, it also creates in others (married/unmarried) the desire to be with your much-bragged-about spouse. This I learn this past Sabbath when an elderly woman at church stood up and shouted "stop parading your husbands around like prized trophies creating envy in others!" We of course laughed at the scene, but these issues are real. This thing of marketing our singleness on the church pulpit is also not on! Some of our churches are no longer filled with dear loving brothers and sisters but with dear brothers and sisters looking for lovers. Hayi people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it all sis.The devil misleads us to think that because we don't literally bow,it's not a god.

    ReplyDelete

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...