Thursday 18 June 2015

Temperaments:The good and the bad side

Over a year and some months ago,I went to a camp with SDASM.It was a blessing and I felt revived plus the surroundings were so beautiful-nature.I also learnt about myself.Although surrounded by many,I often felt lonely and I was quiet most of the times.I concluded it might have been because my best friend wasn't there,hence the behaviour.But I started to evaluate myself and I learnt that I wasn't really good with small talk;I'd rather participate in meaningful conversations.This worried me so I started researching and I found out that I was an introvert.I went on to learn about which temperament I was-Phlegmatic-Melancholic.And this gave me much peace,as I thought there was something wrong with me.That's the positive!

But then I became complacent with my defects,since it was considered normal for people like me to possess such qualities.Like I'd sometimes avoid sitting in a table with people in the dining hall or I'd expect other people to come to me,make me feel welcomed etc.And I even started reading up on the temperament that was best for me to marry-as if I know what's good for me!So,knowing my temperament made me less inclined to improve on areas I was lacking in but God is now helping me.

And that's the negative of knowing our temperaments.We tend to be pleased with fitting in those definitions and we find excuses and start saying things like,"I was born this way,I can't help it"!I remember how justified I felt when I had read that introverts were moody-and I was.But as I read the word of God nowhere was I told to cherish such a trait and my moodiness was affecting my relationship with others.So,these temperaments not only make us comfortable,they become an excuse for the defects we have and we lie to ourselves by saying,"God understands,it's fine even if I lack joy,it's how I'm wired."God calls us to His likeness.The command is: "Be ye perfect,as I am perfect".

I personally believe,as a dear friend once noted that knowing our temperament helps to point out traits we need to work on,but shouldn't define who we are.

In fact as Christians our temperament is to be Christ-like,holy,righteous because God has not "called us unto uncleanliness,but to holiness".And I now realise the fruit of the spirit should define us and we should possess these qualities above everything:"love,joy,peace,patience,kindness,humility and self-control".As much as we're all created differently,God is able to make each one of us holy and use us for the advancement of His kingdom.
It's easier to fall into the trap of listening to experts than God,but men-whether expert or not,will forever be limited in his knowledge!Only God is 'all knowing,wise,infallible' and He's the best person to turn to.The world is not the best counsel to turn to,especially when it comes to godliness or   God's standard.The world is actually the counterfeit of what God says.So,I'll repeat this message over and over again,we must avert our eyes and ears from all that will not benefit us in our walk with God.

Lastly,in Heaven only righteousness dwell therein (2 Peter 3:13;Revelation 21:27).

"A character formed according to the divine likeness is the only treasure that we can take from this world to the next. Those who are under the instruction of Christ in this world will take every divine attainment with them to the heavenly mansions. And in heaven we are continually to improve. How important, then, is the development of character in this life."~Child Guidance,ch.31,p.161

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...