Tuesday 9 June 2015

Prove all things


"Prove all things,hold fast that which is good."-1 Thessalonians 5:21

Growing up,because I attend a church where we use the Bible as the standard for everything,I concluded everything that is done or said is right.But I've later realised that it is not enough to be in a church that knows the truth BUT you have to know it for yourself.In fact,Christianity is an individual thing,each person follows Christ alone-hence we need to know Him personally.

The Bible admonishes us "to study to show ourselves approved of God" so that we may be able to "answer to every men that asks about our hope" and why we do things in a particular way.It is a Christian duty.God goes on to say,"man shall not live by bread alone,but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God".From this I can conclude that God's Word teaches us how to live as Christians.So,if you don't read His Word,how can you make His will yours?

Further on,Jesus said in Matthew 24 one of the major signs that his return is soon would be false prophets.People who come with new doctrines or who twist doctrines in the Bible for their own good.And what best way to be equipped than knowing God's Word? In fact,who likes being lost?No one does and God has provided His Word as a map for what is right and wrong.
One thing many of us fall into is; when we love a certain individual/pastor we tend to agree with everything they say and sadly,at times they might be wrong,but because of love for them we may become blinded and even fall.It is better to search God's Word before agreeing with someone,because after all,we are serving God and not man.
I remember this instance in my life,I was around 13 years of age.I remember hearing that certain women were fighting to be ordained as pastors and I was ecstatic.Mind you,I did not even know what being "ordained" meant.It was later on that I learnt women are not called to be elders and pastors and I cringe at the thought that I once agreed with this.
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path"-Psalm 119:105
If we want to know God's will,who best to consult rather than God?Sometimes,we tend,rather I tend to ask people what I should do in certain situations without consulting God.But now I'm learning,when we sincerely seek to know God's will,He will reveal it to us.Not only should we pray,but sincerely search the Word.

"It is written" is our only safety as there are many false doctrines going around;like the dead going directly to heaven/hell after death,sunday being the day of worship,easters,the dead being able to communicate etc.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...