Monday 1 June 2015

Womanhood-God's way

I miss what womanhood used to be about. I sometimes wish I could turn back the years, so that I could exchange my novels for cooking, knitting, sewing and gardening. The novels only brought me false hopes and seasonal happiness. I wish our mothers or our parents could be honest and tell us, education isn’t everything! It’s a huge lie.No, it has its part, believe me, especially living in this century. But I realise life finds its true meaning when we as women do what we were called to-serving, being a help meet whether in the home or church-if unmarried.

As much as I enjoy being a student and all that it brings, I'm at peace when I’m cleaning the home, when I’m doing the dishes and when I’m folding my clothes-I feel feminine. I feel like I’ve achieved a lot when I’ve cooked a tasty meal(started late sadly).And there are times I wish I could take care of the home all day long.It’s a pity that I used to despise housework.Ladies,let’s not look at “home keeping” as demeaning. It’s fulfilling.

I wish younger girls could take time to enjoy the art of cleaning, of cooking, of keeping the house orderly and clean. But sadly this day and age promotes ‘self-love”. All (with an exception,of course) that younger girls want to do is take pics, chill with friends and “enjoy life”. That’s what I wanted-or I thought I wanted. But as I grow old, I want more housework, I want to serve, and I want to be what God has called me for.

Womanhood was identical with kindness and virtue. I remember how as girls we held the principle that we had to be at home before the sun sets. Where’s all that? Where’s the spirit of adhering to rules? Nowadays you see young girls and woman (how sad) who are content with looking neat and beautiful, while they leave dirty dishes and unmade bed. Of course, that’s not the case for everyone.
As much as we need to be well-read, I think it would do us much good to go back to the old way. My grade 9 teacher once told us, “It’s not right for a girl to go to sleep ,leaving the dirty dishes behind”. My mom has often told me while growing up, to leave the house orderly, incase I got in an accident and get hit by car. Where’s that mind-set?But God requires this from us.”Let everything be done in decency and in order”-1 Corinthians 14:40

I happen to share a house with 4 lovely ladies, but they lack when it comes to neatness. They make up their beds and keep their rooms neat. But when it comes to other areas its always messy. And I often conclude: it’s either the mother has not taught the child to clean or they’re plain lazy. And often the reason is: books.But that’s not a valid reason.House chores can be done during study breaks and no one studies all day.I’ve often felt ashamed and marvelled that we can be on social networks while work is left undone.

And we all aspire to be like the Proverbs 31 woman. But honestly, do you think she became like that overnight? No, she started in girlhood and continued till she got married. As ladies, we should use every phase in our lives to prepare to take care of our own homes. Let’s embrace what womanhood is about. It’s got little to do with “weaves, heels” and more with serving God, our family and those around us…and this service include taking care of the home

‪#‎As‬ I learn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Wednesday: the good men that I cross paths with

I love my job because I get to meet people from different walks of life. There's been one elderly man who has become a father figure to...